Southwest Airlines has extended their schedule to allow bookings until March 8th, 2016. While most legacy airlines release flights on a continual basis 330 days out, Southwest has set days to open up the schedule. This can lead to more obvious schedule reductions and additions. It also is a great time to book upcoming flights especially on points when the new schedule opens up. This way you can guarantee your flights and when using points you can receive a full refund if you want to change or cancel later on.
As for this release, there was nothing that exciting as the new flights were all in the midst of winter where demand shrinks for flying. Despite that there were a couple of surprise additions and from the looks of it just the typical seasonal reductions. Before the release their were rumors of some stations in the Midwest being reduced or consolidated but luckily that did not happen. From my persepictive the addition of Indianapolis (IND) to Chicago (MDW) is great as it opens up a lot better connecting options. It is quite amazing how many new destinations Southwest has added to Indianapolis recently, LGA, LAX, BOS, and DAL just to name a few. All other notable new routes are listed below. For specific route additions for every market change check this link out.
- Burbank (BUR) – San Francisco (SFO) 3x daily
- Boise (BOI) – Sacramento (SMF) 1x daily
- Indianapolis (IND) – Chicago / Midway (MDW) 2x daily
- Little Rock (LIT) – St Louis (STL) 2x daily
- Buffalo (BUF) – Fort Myers (RSW) Saturday Only
- Dallas / Love (DAL) – Fort Myers (RSW) Saturday Only
- Washington Reagan (DCA) – Fort Myers (RSW) Saturday Only
- Little Rock (LIT) – Chicago / Midway (MDW)
- Little Rock (LIT) – Baltimore (BWI)